See here the list of Top 10 best sewing machines. Read the buying guide and other important factors before making a selection for you or any of your dear ones
- SIMPLE TO USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: The CS6000i sewing and quilting machine is user friendly. The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle. LCD Display Size (W x H) 2.0 x 0.7 Inches
- ADJUSTABLE SEWING SPEED: The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine features an adjustable stitch speed that gives you easy control; Stitch Length (millimeter): 5
- VERSATILE FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The Brother XM2701 27 stitch free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT IN STITCHES: This machine includes decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches as well as other built in stitches; Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) 800
- 6 QUICK CHANGE SEWING FEET: The XM2701 includes 6 quick change sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, narrow hemmer, blind stitch, zigzag and button sewing
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There's even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle's eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size - 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The Singer 4452 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines allows it to sew through heavyweight fabrics with ease
- Brother Project Runway model delivers couture level, consistent stitch quality
- 50 stitches customize in style with built in clothing, decorative, heirloom and quilting stitches. Free Arm for Sewing Cuffs and Sleeves; Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute)850
- Includes complete designer sewing and finishing solutions, with 6 specialty feet, accompanying stitches, and specialty needles; Enjoy designer features for blind hems, zippers, overcasting edges, sewing on buttons, knits and stretch fabrics, twin needle top stitching, and more
- LARGE LCD SCREEN: The Brother XR9550PRW computerized sewing machine is easy to navigate thanks to its large backlit LCD screen
- 110 BUILT IN STITCHES: The Project Runway Limited Edition computerized sewing machine includes 110 utility, decorative and heirloom stitches
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: With a simple touch of a lever, the advanced easy needle threader pushes your thread right through the eye
- Heavy duty metal frame ensures that the machine remains Still for skip-free sewing
- Stainless steel bedplate provides smooth fabric feed for even sewing
- Made in China
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: It has 11 Built-in Stitches- 6 Basic Stitches, 4 Decorative Stitches, 1 Built-in Buttonhole-perfect for crafts, home decor, fashion sewing and much more
- ADJUSTABLE NEEDLE POSITION: The needle can be changed to any of the three available positions to add zippers or a decorative touch with topstitching and cording
- HIGH-QUALITY SEWING MACHINE: The heavy-duty metal frame adds stability, and with a strong motor, sewing a higher quantity of items more quickly and efficiently at 1,100 stitches per minute is achievable
- ♪ Portable and Compact Design: Mini sized. This cordless sewing machine doesn't take much space,easy to use and carry. Ideal for kids or beginners
- ♪ Great for on spot repairs and alterations, Requires 4 x AA batteries or DC 6V 600mA power adaptor (not included), 20cm (L) x 7.5cm (H) x 5cm (W)
- ♪ Perfect for Any Materials: Great for silks, denim, wool, leather and crafts. You can use it to sew hanging curtains, wall hanging etc. Note: The suitable sewing thickness cannot over 1.8mm
1. The Singer Mercury 8280
The Singer Mercury 8280 is a simple and practical household mechanical sewing machine. It is equipped with 13 programs and seven different types of stitches, so you can do many different kinds of sewing. The stitch length and stitch width, as well as all other settings, can be easily changed via a rotary control. A user-friendly reverse sewing button and a CB gripper system ensure easy and comfortable sewing. Even sewing beginners will be fine with this uncomplicated sewing machine.
The Singer Mercury 8280 sewing machine is equipped with a practical thread trimmer that allows you to sever the thread easily and without scissors after finishing a seam. The machine sews different fabrics like cotton or jersey and gets along well even with thicker fabrics. Threading is very easy even without threading. Thanks to the free-arm function, sleeves, trouser hems and the like can be easily repositioned. The machine comes with a practical cover.
2. The Juki HZL-LB5100 (Computer Sewing Machine) offers a wide variety of stitches
The Juki HZL-LB5100 computer sewing machine offers 100 different stitches, three different buttonhole types and one-step automatic buttonhole. The machine offers a stitch width of up to 7 millimeters, a stitch length of up to 5 millimeters and a sewing speed of a maximum of 700 stitches per minute. Just like the 100 programmed stitches, the stitch length and stitch width are easily set in a backlit LC display.
The JukiHZL-LB5100 computer sewing machine has many handy features, including a customizable left, right or center needle position, a twin needle function and a retractable feed dog for tamping and freehand embroidery. The machine can be operated by foot pedal or with the speed slider. It also comes with a handy thread trimmer and an automatic threading aid. The Juki sews different fabrics such as cotton and jersey and copes well with thicker materials such as jeans as well as soft and delicate materials such as silk. The accessories include different sewing feet as well as spools and a needle set.
3. The sewing machine W6 VALUE WORK N 1235/61 is suitable for demanding sewing jobs
The sewing machine W6 workmanship N 1235/61 is a robust mechanical sewing machine. It offers 23 different sewing programs and stitches, including straight and zigzag stitches, an elastic blindstitch, a special lingerie stitch, an overcast stitch and a special overlock stitch. The stitch lengths and stitch widths can be variably adjusted. Further, the machine is equipped with a 4-step automatic buttonhole, which makes a simple buttonhole sewing in different sizes possible.
The sewing machine is suitable for simple and demanding sewing jobs and is equipped with many practical functions. So you can switch off by a cover, the transporter, use a twin needle or choose between two different needle positions. The machine is equipped with a two-stage fan lever for thick fabrics, a reverse stitch button, a built-in needle threader and a throat plate with milled spacer lines.
Thanks to its simple operation, it is also ideal for beginners. The extension table can be easily removed, so you can also sew sleeves and trouser legs with the free-arm sewing machine. There is an accessory box in the extension table. The scope of delivery also includes a dust cover.
4. The sewing machine W6 VALUE WORK N 1615 also makes it easy for newcomers to work
The Singer 2250 Tradition is a simple mechanical sewing machine. It features six utility stitches that you can use to decorate your sewing projects: a straight stitch, a zigzag stitch, an elastic stitch or shell edge stitch, and three decorative stitches. Overall, the machine has 19 different sewing programs.
It sews buttonholes easily and automatically in four steps. The stitch length and stitch width as well as the different stitches can be adjusted via two large dials
The Singer 2250 Tradition is suitable for all simple sewing and is well suited for beginners as it has all the essential features and is easy to use.
The practical snap-on mechanism makes it very easy to change the sewing feet. The most important presser feet are included in the accessories: a universal presser foot, a zipper foot, a buttonhole foot and a button presser foot. For stuffing or free-hand sewing, the feed dog can be disabled using the supplied transport cover plate to move the fabric freely. The accessories also include a needle assortment, three spools, a seam separator and a tool for cleaning and maintaining the machine.
5. The W6 VALUE WORK N 1800 sewing machine is a simple machine for near-beginners and casual seamstresses
The W6 workmanship N 1800 has everything you need for sewing and is very suitable for sewing beginners. It is equipped with 15 sewing programs, a 4-step automatic buttonhole and different stitches, including straight stitch, zigzag stitch and blind stitch. Thanks to the two-stage fan lever, the machine also sews thicker fabrics such as jeans. With the twin needle you make authentic denim seams. The pressure of the presser foot always adapts automatically to the material.
When sewing buttons, darning or freehand embroidery, the feed dog can be easily turned off with the included cover. The W6 workmanship N 1800 sewing machine offers two needle positions, a backward sewing button, a stitch length adjustment of 0 to 4 millimeters and a metal stitch plate with milled spacer lines. The operation is very easy and easy to handle even for beginners. In addition, the quick threading is marked with numbers on the machine. Included in delivery are, among other things, replacement needles, spare spools, various sewing feet and a cutting knife.
In particular, in industrial applications, however, other sewing machines are used as
Also in terms of mass transport, industrial sewing machines differ from household sewing machines. In a lockstitch machine, the fabric is usually pushed from below through a feed dog. As a result, the next stitch, depending on the set stitch length at a certain distance to the previous stitch. Industrial sewing machines, however, often use other transport systems such as needle transport or sewing with an additional top feed dog.
Most home sewing machines use a sub-feed dog, which transports the fabric further into the sewing direction through small serrated teeth. Especially when multi-ply fabric pieces are sewn, it can happen that the upper layers are slowed down by the presser foot, while the lower layers are continued by the feed dog. On the other hand, a top feed dog can remedy the situation, which is permanently installed in some household sewing machines or can be used as an accessory for other models. Modern sewing machines are driven by an electric motor.
6. There are these types of sewing machines
If you are new to sewing a sewing machine for the first time, you will find that there are many different sewing machines on the market.
So there are:
Coverlock sewing machines
But what is the difference between all these sewing machines? We take a closer look at this guide.
6.1. Mechanical sewing machine or computer sewing machine?
An important difference exists between mechanical sewing machines and computer sewing machines. While mechanical sewing machines are operated electrically and the individual parameters such as stitch types and stitch length and width must be set manually via a dial, computer sewing machines are electronically controlled via an integrated computer.
Important parameters can be set by pressing a button and can often be selected in a display. Computer-controlled sewing machines also offer significantly more stitch programs than mechanical sewing machines. In addition, they can also sew decorative stitches, letters or numbers, as well as produce buttonholes fully automatically.
Computer sewing machines are often more comfortable to use than mechanical sewing machines, because the machine makes the optimum settings for the stitch length and the stitch width to match the selected sewing program. In addition, she suggests the matching presser foot in the display. In addition, it is possible to set whether the needle should be raised or lowered in the fabric after finishing a seam, or whether the needle should be positioned in the middle, left or right.
The setting options of a computer-controlled sewing machine make sewing more convenient and easier. However, if you are an absolute beginner, it may happen that the setting options of the computer-controlled sewing machine are confusing rather than helpful. Which type of machine is better suited, therefore, is individually different.
These settings help beginners as well as practiced approachers, so that it is not possible to say in general terms whether a mechanical sewing machine or a computer-controlled sewing machine is more suitable for beginners. Mechanical sewing machines are usually more robust and cheaper. Thus, they are more suitable if you want to try sewing as a hobby first of all without much cost.
So while there is a clear difference between mechanical and computer-controlled sewing machines, many other terms refer more to certain features of a sewing machine.
6.2. Beginner and novice sewing machine
As entry-level and novice sewing machines are often referred to sewing machines that are in the lower price segment and bring along only the basic functions. In most cases these are mechanical sewing machines. They bring along all the important functions that are necessary for sewing, but do not confuse a beginner with too many stitch types and sewing programs.
6.3. Arm Sewing Machine
Almost all household sewing machines on sale today are free-arm sewing machines. They are in contrast to those previously common table sewing machines, which were permanently installed with a piece of furniture. The advantage of a free-arm sewing machine is that you can pull trouser legs, sleeves or the like over the free arm to sew there among other things seams.
In almost all of today’s sewing machines, the extension table can be additionally removed, so that even tight sleeves and trouser legs can be sewn easily.
children sewing machine
Even children are often enthusiastic about sewing. The trade therefore offers children extra small sewing machines. In practice, however, it is often the case that children can cope well with a cheap mechanical sewing machine that is suitable for beginners and beginners. These machines are usually better processed and last longer than the designated children’s sewing machines, which in some cases have clear toy character.
6.4. Travel sewing machine
Traveling machines are small, mechanical machines that can be stowed away in your luggage. With them you can carry out smaller sewing jobs such as repairs or repairs on the way. However, these machines are not suitable for more extensive sewing. Often it is therefore more appropriate to simply stow needle and thread in the luggage instead of the travel sewing machine.
6.5. Hand sewing machine
Hand sewing machines are small devices that visually often remind of a tacker. With them also smaller seams can be repaired. For more extensive sewing, however, they are not suitable. Nutznaht sewing machine. The term utility seam designates the opposite of a decorative seam. A useful seam sewing machine is therefore nothing more than a conventional sewing machine with which, for example, straight stitches and zigzag stitches can be sewn. This somewhat old-fashioned name comes from the early days of household sewing machine.
6.6. The specialists among the sewing machines
Terms such as free-arm sewing machine, sewing seam sewing machine or beginner and Anfängernähmaschine thus designate normal household sewing machines. The devices may be both a computer sewing machine and a mechanical sewing machine. However, there are also some sewing machines that are very different from these conventional sewing machines.
6.7. Overlock Sewing Machine
The overlock machine is a sewing machine that is mainly used for sewing clothes. Although garments can also be sewn using a conventional household sewing machine, Overlock is capable of creating seams, cutting off the fabric edge, and overcasting the cut edges in one go. For this she is equipped with a special knife. Unlike the conventional sewing machine, the overlock is operated with multiple needles and bobbins. It also has a differential transport, which makes it much easier to sew jersey or fine and thin fabrics.
6.8. Overlock Sewing Machine
The Coverlock machine sews and also misses in one work step. However, while you can work with the overlock machine only at the edge of the fabric to sew two pieces of fabric together, the coverlock can also sew in the middle of the fabric. Unlike the overlock, the coverlock is not equipped with a knife. However, it also has the differential transport and is often equipped with the ability to sew attractive stitches.
If you want to sew clothes on a larger scale or even commercially, an overlock or cover lock machine is essential. However, this does not mean that the Overlock or Coverlock is the better sewing machine, because a normal home appliance can not replace these specialized machines.
6.9. Industrial sewing machines
Both the Coverlock and the Overlock are industrial sewing machines by function, but both variations are also available today as machines for home use. In general, industrial sewing machines are characterized by a very high longevity. The devices are also usually very robust. They have a strong engine performance and are significantly faster than household sewing machines. Industrial sewing machines are usually firmly mounted on a tabletop and they are significantly heavier and louder than conventional sewing machines. embroidery machines.
7. The features of a sewing machine
Modern sewing machines are often provided with a variety of functions and features. In our guide, we take a look at which features are particularly important.
7.1. Free-arm sewing machine
With the sewing machine, you should make sure that it is a Freiarmnähmaschine and that you can remove the Anschiebetisch. Only then can you sew trouser legs, sleeves or other tubular parts. Without a Freiarmnähmaschine you have clear limits set here.
7.2. The presser foot
Of course every sewing machine is equipped with a presser foot and you can change your feet depending on the sewing work. Above all, if you want to sew thick materials, you should however make sure that the machine is also suitable for this and the presser foot can be raised accordingly. It is also particularly practical for a detectable presser foot that does not tilt.
7.3. The transporter
Most sewing machines are equipped with a bottom feed dog. If you want to sew very fine fabrics or several layers of thicker fabric, it is advisable to use an additional top transport. Some machines are equipped with a second feed directly, others have the option of retrofitting.
7.4. Retractable transporter
For some jobs, such as darning or freehand embroidery, the feed dog must be turned off to be able to move the fabric freely on the bed. Some machines offer a retractable feed dog for this purpose. On other machines, you can cover the transporter with a small plate provided and put it out of action.
7.5. Stitch types and stitch programs
The standard stitches such as straight stitch, zigzag stitch or elastic stitch usually have every sewing machine. Nearly every machine also offers a buttonhole stitch, but moreover computer stitching machines offer many more stitch types and sewing programs. Beginners in particular often get along better with a machine that offers fewer options and is therefore less confusing and easier to use, while skilled fitters often use and appreciate a wide variety of stitches and stitch programs.
7.6. Stitch length and stitch width
The stitch length and stitch width have an influence on the sewing result. They should be as infinitely adjustable as possible.
7.7. Reverse sewing
Even reverse sewing is possible today with any modern household appliance. It is especially needed for locking seams. Computer-controlled sewing machines offer special functions that can be sewed on the spot, but with a mechanical machine with backward button, the thread can be sewn just as well. needle position
Some machines offer the possibility to set whether the needle should be positioned in the center, left or right. Especially for sewing zippers or for edging, this feature is quite practical. It is mainly offered in computer-controlled machines.
7.8. Needle stop above or below
Computer-controlled sewing machines often offer a choice as to whether the needle should remain in the fabric after finishing a seam or not. For some sewing, this feature can be handy. If a needle stop with a deep needle is set, the fabric piece will not slip even if you raise the presser foot.
7.9. Automatic or manual thread tension
Some sewing machines offer the option to adjust the thread tension automatically. Sewing beginners in particular often have problems with the correct setting of the thread tension, so that this function can certainly be of help. However, as the automatically adjusted thread tension does not always fit, manual adjustment should always be possible.
7.10. With display or without
Computer-controlled sewing machines are usually equipped with a display, while mechanical sewing machines usually have two large rotary knobs. The decision for or against a display is therefore also a decision for or against a computer-controlled sewing machine.
7.11.The foot pedal
The foot pedal primarily serves the drive and the speed of sewing. However, some sewing machine pedals also take on additional functions such as lifting the presser foot or changing the sewing direction. Some of the features and features listed here are provided only by computer sewing machines. while you have to do without mechanical sewing machines. However, these are not essential features, but extras that make stitching more comfortable or provide extra decoration options.